Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

H-1B Employees

H-1B or Temporary Worker nonimmigrant status may be granted to a non-US resident who has been offered a professional-level position in the United States. In order for a person to obtain H-1B status, the prospective employer must file a petition with the US Department of Homeland Security/US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The H-1B temporary worker immigration status is designated for individuals coming temporarily to the United States to work in a specialty occupation, which is one that requires theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement.”

H-1B is the most common visa or immigration status used for a non-US employee to obtain authorization to work at UT. In order for a prospective employee to obtain H-1B status, the employer must file paperwork with the US Department of Labor and a petition with USCIS. The Center for Global Engagement files H-1B petitions upon request by the hiring department and works together with the designated department representative to gather information and documents needed for this complex process.

After receiving a formal request and attached documents from the hiring department, the Center for Global Engagement files all official H-1B requests for the university with the US Department of Labor and USCIS. It is very important for the department head to understand the laws and regulations related to an H-1B status before submitting an H-1B request to the Center for Global Engagement.


Costs (paid to US Government, not ISSS):

  • $460 filing fee – required on all applications
  • $500 anti-fraud fee – required on the first application but not on extensions
  • $2,805 premium processing – almost always necessary, but not strictly required; speeds up USCIS processing but not ISSS’s processing