Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Export Control

The US government wishes to control the transfer of sensitive technology to nationals of certain countries. For this reason, it maintains a list of certain technologies considered to be sensitive. If a non-US employee will work with any of these technologies, the employer must obtain an Export Control License. USCIS requires every H-1B petitioner to sign a statement that it has checked the lists of export-controlled technologies before filing the petition.

In order to ensure compliance with this attestation, the department head and supervisor must complete and sign an Export Control Attestation Form, listing all accounts to be used to pay the H-1B employee and certifying whether or not the employee will be exposed to controlled technology. The Attestation Form must be sent to the appropriate export control officer for additional verification. The export control officer will forward the certified form to International Student and Scholar Services.