Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Working On-Campus as an International Student

Working on-campus can be a great way to connect with the campus community and build skills. International student on F (student) and J (exchange visitor) visas can typically work on-campus.

General Guidelines for Working On-Campus

  • You must maintain full-time enrollment and good academic standing in your program.
  • You are limited to 20 hours per week except during official university break periods and the summer.

Starting a New On-Campus Position

When you start a new on-campus job, you must work with your supervisor to complete all of the necessary steps with Human Resources in order to be legal. Most students will work with the University of Tennessee (UT) Human Resources department, but students working at Dining Services through Aramark will work with the Aramark Human Resources department. If you supervisor has questions about the steps you need to take, we have a page created with helpful information at Graduate Assistantships and Working On-Campus. If this is the first time you have worked in the U.S., you will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). We have a guide that will help you with this process at Getting a Social Security Number (SSN).

J-1 Exchange Visitor Requirements

If you work on-campus as a J-1 exchange visitor, you will have some additional reporting that must be done. Speak with an ISSS advisor about this for details. You can schedule an appointment at our Getting Advising page.