Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Transferring out of UTK

Immigration regulations allow an F-1 student to transfer to another university. The student must first obtain written confirmation of acceptance to another college or university. Next, the student should follow the University of Tennessee’s transfer out procedures. Finally, a ISSS advisor will transfer your SEVIS record to the new university.

Transfer Out Process

Access the Transfer Out request form in iVols portal. You will be required to upload a copy of your official admission letter from your new school. You should be able to provide the SEVIS school code of your new university. If the new school has a transfer-in form, please submit this to ISSS when you submit the Transfer Out request.

Note: Students who graduate or complete OPT must have their SEVIS record released from the ISSS to the new institution before the end of their grace period.* Immigration regulations require that students begin their new program at the new school within five months from their last program end date/last day of semester classes, or within five months from their last date of employment (if on OPT).

*The grace period for F-1 students is 60 days after graduation or OPT period.

Note: Students on OPT must have their SEVIS record released before going beyond 90 days of unemployment.

J-1 students should contact their international student advisor for instructions on transferring out of UT.