Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

J-1 Scholars

In order to become a J-1 scholar or intern at the University of Tennessee, a scholar must be hosted by a UT department. The host department will be responsible for submitting a J-1 scholar request to ISSS. After reviewing and approving the forms and required documents, CGE will issue a DS-2019 for the scholar to apply for a J-1 visa.

Scholars will find useful information in the International Scholar’s Handbook, which includes the following information:

  • Visa application process
  • SEVIS fee
  • Immigration-related topics
  • General information about life in Knoxville and UT
  • Checklists to guide you before and after you arrive in Knoxville

Program Extensions for J-1:

J-1 scholars should contact their UT international advisor with questions about applying for an extension. If the University of Tennessee issued the student’s DS-2019, then the student should complete and submit the Extension of Program Advisor Form to CGE along with proof of financial support for the extension period. Contact Erik Simons or David Lawson for more information. If UT did not issue the DS-2019, the student should contact the organization who issued the DS-2019 for more information about extending their stay.

DS-2019 Application Process for J-2 Dependents

The spouse and children (under age 21) of a J-1 student may hold dependent status and accompany the student in the United States during the student’s academic program.

Each dependent receives a separate I-20/DS-2019, and must apply in person for an J-2 visa to come to the US. Dependents are eligible to stay in the United States in J-2 dependent status as long as the student maintains legal J-1 status.

J-1 students should contact their international student advisor for instructions on adding a J-2 dependent.