International Student and Scholar Services

Center for Global Engagement

Welcome UT Departments


International Student and Scholar Services works with UT Knoxville departments and colleges to serve international scholars who visit our campus in order to lecture, teach, or conduct research. We are responsible for the processing of H-1B visas and Permanent Residency applications for UT’s international employees.


Admitting and Enrolling International Students

  • Admission Process – It is important to note that CGE plays no role in the academic admission of international students. After students are admitted, CGE will review the financial documents required for processing the visa documents necessary for students to apply for visas. Please refer to the Graduate or Undergraduate Admissions website for details on the process.
  • Beyond Admissions – CGE is required by federal regulations to verify that each international student has the sufficient finances to support their study in the U.S. Once this requirement is satisfied, CGE will issue the visa document. The student will be responsible for paying the SEVIS fee and applying for the appropriate student visa to enter the U.S.
  • Visa Application Process

Hosting International Scholars

  • J-1 Scholar Information – Defined as someone who will be teaching or conducting research at UT Knoxville for a short period.
  • J-1 Intern Information – Defined as an international student who is currently enrolled at their home institution abroad or has graduated in the last year and is wanting to participate in an internship related to their studies.
  • H-1B Information – Defined as a temporary worker visa designate for international employees coming to work temporarily in the U.S. in a specialty/professional occupation.
  • Permanent Residence Information – Often referred to as having a “green card”. Employees who obtain PR status have the right to live and work in the U.S. indefinitely.
  • Visa Waiver Program Information – A citizen from any one of these countries can typically enter the U.S. without a visa if they are coming for a short visit as a tourist or business visitor (Activities appropriate for a B-2 or B-1 Visitor).

Contribute to big ideas. Give to Global Engagement.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.