Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

On-Campus Employment Authorization

Students in F-1/J-1 status are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. During official university breaks, such as spring break, summer break, and winter break, students can work more than 20 hours per week on campus. Students cannot continue working after graduating or completing their academic program (unless they have some other type of work permission). CGE works with students and their employing departments to complete employment authorization procedures.

F-1 Employment Authorization Procedures

On-Campus Employment
  1. Department writes Employment Authorization Memo and gives to the student.
  2. Student attends check-in session at CGE.
  3. Student provides I-20 and memo to CGE.
  4. CGE advisor stamps I-20 page 2, writes SSN letter, and puts at CGE front desk for pickup.
  5. Student picks up documents from CGE after noon on the day after all documents were submitted.
  6. Student provides copies of documents to employing department for I-9 process.
  7. Student applies for Social Security number if needed.

J-1 Employment Authorization Procedures

On-Campus Employment

J-1 students must obtain a work authorization from the organization that issued their DS-2019. If the University of Tennessee issued the DS-2019, students should follow these steps:

After arriving in Knoxville, new students must complete their immigration check-in with CGE. Following completion of immigration check-in, CGE will validate their J-1 program record in SEVIS.

Current students and new students who have completed check-in must complete these steps to be authorized for on-campus employment must bring their DS-2019, passport (with I-94 card), and current class schedule to meet with a CGE advisor.

  1. Department writes Employment Authorization Memo and gives to the student.
  2. Student provides DS-2019 and most recent I-94 to CGE.
  3. CGE advisor updates SEVIS with the employment information.
  4. CGE advisor writes an employment letter for the student.
  5. CGE advisor writes a Social Security number letter if needed.
  6. CGE will inform the student by email when the DS-2019, I-94, and letters are ready to pick up.

According to current regulations, students may begin on-campus employment before receiving a Social Security card. According to the same rule, a newly obtained Social Security number must be provided to the employer within 90 days.