Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Dependents (Spouse and Children)

The spouse and children (under age 21) of an F-1/J-1 student may hold dependent status and accompany the student in the United States during the student’s academic program.

Each dependent receives a separate I-20/DS-2019, and must apply in person for an F-2/J-2 visa to come to the US. Dependents are eligible to stay in the United States in F-2/J-2 dependent status as long as the student maintains legal F-1/J-1 status.

I-20 Application Process for F-2 Dependents

In order to add your dependent(s) to your I-20, log in to the iVols portal with your Net ID and password. Then follow these instructions:

  1. From the F-1 Student Services section of the iVols portal, select the Add Dependents option.

2. Fill out the Add Dependent E-form.


3. Fill out the Financial Documentation E-form and, if necessary, the optional GA Verification form.

Be advised that you must provide financial documentation showing enough funds for a full year of study, plus an additional $5,000 USD for a spouse or $4,000 USD for each child.

Once you submit the required forms in iVols, CGE will process your request. If your documentation is sufficient, CGE will issue an updated I-20 that includes your dependents as well as I-20s for each dependent.

DS-2019 Application Process for J-2 Dependents

J-1 students should contact their international student advisor for instructions on adding a J-2 dependent.