Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Off-Campus Employment

International students have the option of working off campus either during their program or immediately after it ends. Authorization is always required before working off campus.

There are two types of work authorization available for F-1 students:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students in STEM fields are eligible to extend their OPT.

J-1 students can apply for Academic Training to work off campus.

For more information, watch this brief informational video on the key differences between OPT and CPT.  You can learn more about these options below:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)
STEM OPT Extension
J-1 Academic Training