International Student and Scholar Services

Center for Global Engagement

Immigration Information

To enter and stay in the United states for a specified amount of time, a non-US citizen has to use a non-immigrant visa category.

Nonimmigrant visitors who enter the United States and are granted immigration status. This status will be indicated on the entry stamp placed in the passport and the I-94 record.

Regulations regarding how to maintain legal status, employment, permitted length of stay, and spouse’s eligibility to work vary according to the visa category. For detailed information about the immigration regulations that pertain to your visa category click on the links below.

The procedures and responsibilities of academic departments wishing to host international students, scholars, and employees can be found here for H-1B scholarsJ-1 scholars, and permanent residents.

Non-immigrant status for full-time students enrolled in an academic program in the U.S.
Individuals coming temporarily to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation.
Students participating in exchange programs.
Research scholars participating in educational or cultural exchange at the University.
The right to live and work in the United States indefinitely. Also referred to as the “Green Card.”



PassportsMore Immigration Information

For additional information about visa types, application process and requirements please visit the Department of State’s travel website.

For information about US embassies, consulates, and diplomatic missions please visit

Contribute to big ideas. Give to Global Engagement.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.