We hope your fall semester is off to a good start! Please read through the following reminders for a successful semester at UT:
Full time enrollment:
All students must be enrolled full time. The last day to add classes is Friday, August 31. This means:
- Undergraduates must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours
- Graduate students without 50% assistantships (less than 20 hours per week) must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 credit hours
- Graduate students with 50% assistantships (20 hours per week) must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours
- For a regular course offered online, only one class (up to 3 credits) per semester can count toward the total number of credits for full time enrollment
If your address changes (even just the apartment or room number!) be sure to update your address with both CIE and on MyUTK:
- The CIE Change of Address Form is available in the iVols portal. You need to submit the change to CIE within 10 days of moving.
- PO Boxes are not acceptable for local addresses.
- Be sure to include the apartment or room number in your address if you have one.
- For new students: if you did not provide a local phone number during orientation, please be sure to report your local phone number.
- MyUTK must have your updated home country and local addresses.
If you wish to waive out of the UT health insurance, you must complete a waiver form each semester. The deadline for Fall 2018 is Thursday, August 30. Please see http://studenthealth.utk.edu/insrec_intl.php for more information.
If you traveled abroad during the summer, CIE strongly recommends that you print out a copy of your electronic I-94 upon your return to ensure that your data in the CBP database is accurate. https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/
OPT for December 2018 Graduates:
If you will complete your academic program this semester and plan to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), CIE recommends applying early. The application process can take 3-4 months. If you have questions about applying, read the information on our website and register for the OPT Seminar, or visit CIE for walk-in advising.
If you have any immigration related questions, you can come to CIE for walk-in advising for students. These are held from 1pm – 4pm, Monday through Friday. Please check in with the front desk at CIE before seeing an advisor.
More details about immigration can be found at http://international.utk.edu/isss/immigration-information/ .
Have a great semester!