International Student and Scholar Services

Center for International Education

Health Insurance Information for Departments


Download this information as a PDF

The host department must verify that scholars and their dependents are insured for every day of their stay in the United States. If a scholar pays for his/her own insurance, and particularly if the scholar selects a plan other than the UT Student and Scholar Health Policy, it is of great importance that the department confirms that the plan is in compliance with the J-1 insurance regulations.

The host department is also responsible for assisting scholars with the purchase of adequate health insurance. In the case scholars choose to buy the UT Student and Scholar Health Insurance Policy, the host department will be in charge of mailing the enrollment form to appropriate provider.

Enrollment and plan information for the August 2012–July 2013 academic year will be coordinated through the John Hildreth Agency located at 10259 Kingston Pike #A, Knoxville, TN 37922-3566. If you need or are interested in receiving student health insurance information for the 2012–13 academic year, please call the Hildreth Agency at 865-691-4652 or 1-800-874-0831.

United Healthcare Contact Information
Questions? 1-800-767-0700 |
Emergency Assistance: Within the US 1-877-488-9833 | Outside the US 609-452-8570

For detailed instructions on how to facilitate compliance with the J-1 insurance regulations, including the procedure to purchase the UT Student and Scholar Health Insurance Policy, please download and read the following documents:

Contribute to big ideas. Give to International Education.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.